(Everyone) Cant / Never / Always

 This entry was posted on Thursday, March 21st, 2019 at 6:35 pm


I wonder when Can’t / Always / Never became an active part of our vernacular. If I could simply wipe those words completely from my language, I believe that the challenges that I face in my life would look vastly different.

In my house when I hear my kids say “I can’t………”, I immediately respond with something to the effect of, “don’t say can’t”. This is great until I am faced with an adversity, struggling mightily, on the verge of letting out an expletive filled tirade, only to become exasperated and overwhelmed with “I CAN’T…………!!!!!!!!”. Great parenting, huh!?

What I think we lose sight of is how much power we give to our words. One of the key details in the work I get to do with clients is accurately identifying words. Here is an example, simply saying I am frustrated might not be accurate. Hear me out. Yes, you may feel frustrated, but are you really discouraged, defeated, let down, which in turn is contributing to the deep frustration?

Someone much wiser than me once said, “whether you think you can or think you can’t, you are correct.” Meaning…….? Every time I allow the words can’t, never, and always to become part of my vernacular, I am correct.

You want to make some changes, start by recognizing that the words you are using may not be accurate, but worse yet, may be causing a tremendous amount of toxicity to infect your thinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!