The Friendship that Overcomes

 This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 at 3:01 pm


The other night I was flipping through the channels when I noticed that the movie Tombstone was on. Tombstone was a 1993 American Western film that is based on events in Tombstone, Arizona, including the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and the Earp Vendetta Ride, during the 1880s. Like most movies, I am sure that the producers/directors took some liberties as far as the plot being completely true, but regardless it is one of my favorite movies. During the course of the movie, you catch glimpses into the relationship between two people on both sides of the law, Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. Although they may not see eye to eye on a number of issues, it is their bond in the most of important of areas, their friendship. At the end of the movie (clip attached), you see Wyatt come to see Doc in his most fragile state. Even if you put the movie on mute, you can see the intensity and magnitude of their deep friendship as Doc lies dying.

There is something so powerful about this moment for me due to the unwavering friendship these two people possess. My mom has that, others have that, that friendship that lasts through real struggle. That friendship that has suffered heartache, resentment, fear, frustration, and yet in the end the bond cannot be broken. It is this bond that I seek personally, and for those that I am in regular contact with. It is this type of bond that takes us out of isolation, forces us to examine our blind spots, and ultimately leads us to a better self. We should all seek this type of bond. For it is within bonds like this that I grow, they grow, and we learn real peace.

https://youtu.be/jFv7CvFsQAo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?