The secret to this work, at least for me.

 This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 29th, 2018 at 9:41 pm


When I think of the word authentic, what comes to mind is shows like Pawn Stars. The reason I think of this is because when a customer inevitably finds out that something is not a fraud (aka, “authentic”), the value inevitably goes up. Same as in relationships.

One of the things that makes my job so meaningful to me is that when my door shuts, I get to see a level of vulnerability and authenticity that most people do not. As the sessions progress, and hopefully I have worked on really listening to the person across from me, the authenticity reveals itself more.

The reality is that we live in a world where authenticity is not always safe. Depending on whom the person is across from us will most likely determine what mask we choose to use. If its my boss, I choose this mask; my friends, this mask; neighbor, spouse, co-worker, and on and on and on. But then something happens. We have a moment of breakthrough with any one of those people where we let them into our peculiar little world, reveal one of our many peccadillos, or simply share a vulnerability, and that authenticity can lead to something meaningful. It may be a moment, it may be trend, or a pattern, but most likely it could lead to something special.

So here it is, the secret that you were waiting for. The secret to so much of my work??????? Trying to get the authenticity that people allow me to see and help them to reveal that to those special people that can handle it outside of my office. Open, authentic, and real is where it is at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!