“what if I had just………”

 This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 11th, 2018 at 4:04 pm


Over the last Spring Break my wife had the great idea that we should go see the family in my hometown of New Port Richey, FL. Going home, although rare, is always an interesting occasion. It was the place that I ran from at 27 years old because it was leading me down the darkest of paths. The place in and of itself is not bad, it was just not the best place for me. This time coming home was much different. This time I was introduced to real growth and prosperity. One of my best friends, when faced with a personal turmoil, decided not to wallow in self-pity and anger, but used it to drive towards a dream. He had sent me a random text months ago about his company laying him off, and…well, lets be honest, how do you respond to a text like that. I struggled, I wanted to say just the right thing, to make just the right impact on such a difficult occasion. In the end, I don’t even know what I said, but I know that I tried to make it hopeful. So before this Spring Break, I was made aware that he and his wife had taken the plunge and started their own business. I remember thinking, he did it, he is chasing his dream and passion. As soon as I got to my parent’s house there was a strong desire to see him and his new place. The picture below is the one I took that day.

Too often I am met with people chasing the “just trying to make it without screwing everything up” monotony…. instead of “The American Dream”. When I think of the American Dream, I now think of the tangible picture below that my friend now represents. You see, the American Dream for me is the idea of chasing after your passions, with equal parts nervousness, excitement, and doubt. Those parts of us that question whether we can actually do this. Those parts of us that more than anything doesn’t want to have to sit and wonder in our silent prison, “what if I had just…” I am so happy for my friend, I literally had so much pure joy for him as I sat in his establishment that I could’ve probably shed a tear. I don’t want to have that deep-down ringing in my ear one day of “what if….”, because that what if represents regret, desire never broached, and fear recognized as failure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!

(ALL) This Is How Much Exercise You Need to Help Prevent and Manage Depression