Better to be a warrior……..

 This entry was posted on Monday, May 14th, 2018 at 7:23 pm


As a child I was into martial arts movies with the grand illusion that I could be a tough guy one day. As I’ve grown……slightly in some cases, I have a much clearer recognition that no matter how tough you think you are on the outside you can’t outrun the man/woman on the inside. “Deep thoughts by Ryan.” Looking back, I know that my desire to be a martial arts tough guy was to combat how weak, insignificant, depressed, and powerless I felt. I see things much differently as I recognize the gifts that martial arts can bring. Discipline, camaraderie, friendship, perseverance, and hopefully a level of confidence that propels you to face any challenges. I know what it is like to feel deeply discouraged, insignificant, weak, depressed, and to say to yourself, “if I just do this_________, then I don’t have to worry about these problems.” I believe truly that we are made to be in community, yet depression, anxiety, and our insecurities all lead us to a similar place, isolation.

Below is one little girls story. More than that though, the link is about a young girl, a thoughtful family, and an opportunity to build community out of struggle. Check out this link to learn about how E3 is becoming a movement in Overland Park.

“It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war.” (Sun Tzu)

Claire's Story

E3 Scholarship Fund

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?