I’m Not Getting Older, I’m Getting Better!

 This entry was posted on Monday, March 26th, 2018 at 2:25 pm


One of my most favorite movies of all time is Boyz n The Hood. Let’s be honest, I cannot relate to the movie at all, I don’t know what it is like to go through that kind of struggle. For some reason, I have simply always loved it. There is one scene in particular that I have always liked (the link is below, check out the first 40 seconds). In this scene, Furious (father), is cutting his son Tre’s hair. As is their relationship, Tre takes a swipe at Furious by calling him old. Furious immediately cracks back, “I’m not getting old, I’m getting better.” This is the running joke within my home. Whenever my kids or my wife make the joke that Daddy is getting old, I immediately hit back with, “I’m not getting older, I’m getting better.” It’s the truth, I am getting better and I have no desire to go back. I struggle when around people talking about the good old days, probably more because I think, why in the world would anyone ever want to go back? I am more learned now than I have ever been at any other point in my life. Today, on my birthday, I can say with the utmost confidence that I have fallen many times, and somehow, someway I am here at 43 still getting up. I am a work in progress and I want to see how this whole thing gets even better. I don’t have it all together, I still make some bad choices, I still look like a fool regularly, I still have so many areas that I need to grow……. but, I am getting better. I will stumble today, I will screw up probably within the next hour, stress and anxiety will try to take over, and no doubt a depressive thought or two will try and manipulate my day……. but, I am getting better. So, if anyone tries to make the crack to you about getting old, remind them, “I’m not getting older, I’m getting better!”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(MEN) How Do I Become More Effective in the Everyday?

(ALL) Anxiety, I freaking hate it!